For a number of years, Plesner has focused on the digitisation of the financial sector. We have built up unique knowledge of the innovative products and businesses today called fintech.
Plesner's specialists are leaders in Denmark within fintech with extensive experience in both commercial thinking and negotiation as well as the relationship with supervisory authorities as the Financial Supervisory Authority and the Data Protection Agency.
Our fintech specialists work closely with particularly our specialists in data protection and IT/technology which are often areas of concern for fintech businesses/projects. When the need arises, we also utilise Plesner's other specialist skills including those related to tax, financing, capital markets, outsourcing, M&A and corporate law.
Plesner thus stands out in the market by combining deep technical/business understanding with first rate legal expertise within all relevant practice areas - regulatory as well as non-regulatory. In this way, we help our clients both get to the bottom of, and all the way around, all legal and business challenges.
The integrated advice offered by Plesner's fintech specialists is also the reason why we continuously advise all significant market participants within fintech from startups over established financial institutions to Big Tech, including in respect of:
Payment services regulation, including establishment and obtaining license, strong customer authentication requirements, the innovative third party account information and payment initiation services and commerciallisation of data in light of GDPR and special Danish rules
- Blockchain-based products including e-wallets
- Cryptocurrency and other digital assets
- Robo-advisors and third-party solutions within investment services
- Establishment and operation of crowdfunding/crowdlending platforms including advising on standard contractual documentation
- Consumer credit regulation, including license as a consumer loan business and the special rules on marketing of consumer credit
- AML/KYC programmes and related issues regarding digitalisation of compliance in general
- SymblePay - regarding obtaining license as a payment institution and all legal matters regarding the establishment of peer-to-peer escrow-payment solution
- Vipps - regarding cross-border merger with online payment solution MobilePay
- Zelus - regarding regulation of NFT wallet and cryptocurrencies
- Global card scheme - regarding payment services and AML-regulation in Denmark
- Biller - regarding the establishment of digital Danish B2B factoring platform
- Performativ - investment round led by Upfin Fund I
- Digital bank - regarding partnership with cryptocurrency exchange and creation of crypto custody structure
- Plata - regarding consumer finance and data privacy matters in connection with the launch of a peer-to-peer lending platform
- Payment institution - regarding extensive intra-group outsourcing arrangement and compliance with outsourcing regulations
- Coinbase - regarding regulation of cryptocurrencies and digital assets
- Digital "neo bank" and its financial holding company - regarding all matters related to financial compliance
- Consumer credit providers - regarding special Danish APR and marketing restrictions as well as compliance with requirements for creditworthiness/affordability-assessments
- Nordea - regarding establishment of Nordic payments infrastructure "P27"
- Large Nordic card acquirer - regarding all matters related to payment services regulation, including strong customer authentication requirements
- Mobile carrier - regarding roll-out of Alipay and WeChatPay in Denmark
Plesner is able to advise a wide range of clients from start-ups to more established financial institutions. It has significant regulatory expertise combined with venture capital and M&A experience, especially on cross-border mergers. The firm is well regarded for its expertise in securities law and banking regulation.
"They are very good from a client's perspective. They understand the need to expand in the market and do it quickly"
"They had strong insight and delivered in accordance with the parameters of the business plan" (2023)
As one of the leading law firms in Denmark, Plesner is able to advise a wide range of clients from startups to more established financial institutions. The firms is well regarded for its expertise in matters of securities law and banking regulation.
"I have used them for work in the areas of governance. With a banking licence you have to follow the regulations, but that does not always fit a FinTech company. They've been very good. I have looked at different law firms and Plesner was just one of them, but I keep coming back to them because they are so good" (2021)