Jimmy Skjold Hansen is Head of the Arbitration Group and partner in our general Dispute Resolution team.
Jimmy represents clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings and is specialized in international commercial arbitration proceedings under the auspices of the Danish Institute of Arbitration in Copenhagen (DIA), the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris (ICC) and the London Court of Arbitration (LCIA).
Jimmy has experience within a range of different businesses and industries, including commercial contracts, M&A and IPOs, capital funds and alternative investments, energy and infrastructure, banking and finance, shipping, food and beverages, retail and services as well as intellectual property rights etc.
Jimmy is also experienced in handling international investment arbitrations - i.e. disputes between investors and host states - under, e.g., the ICSID- and UNCITRAL rules, and he regularly advises Danish companies, equity and pension funds on investment protection under international investment treaties.
In addition, Jimmy focuses on litigation proceedings in Denmark and abroad concerning damages for share price losses (securities litigation).
Lastly, Jimmy is also very experienced in carrying out internal investigations and handling enforcement proceedings vis-à-vis Danish authorities.
Jimmy is one of very few Danish attorneys having specialized knowledge and experience from abroad in the resolution of disputes between businesses from different countries and between businesses and states etc. In addition to his Danish degrees, he holds a Master of International Dispute Settlement from Geneva in Switzerland, which is one of the hubs for international dispute resolution worldwide.
Having worked in a law firm in Geneva, Jimmy has assisted leading international arbitrators in handling commercial and investment arbitration proceedings in relation to food products, renewable energy and the oil, gas and mining industries etc.
Jimmy Skjold Hansen is also a certified arbitrator and acts as arbitrator in both domestic and international cases.
Finally, Jimmy is an active member of the international arbitration community, including as speaker and author, and he supervises the "Vis Moot" team from the University of Copenhagen in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot competition as well as Plesner's annual "Pre-Moot" in this connection.
- Klesch Group (2023-) - counsel to Klesch Group in an ICSID Additional Facility investment treaty arbitration against the EU under the Energy Charter Treaty concerning governmental interference in the energy sector (Klesch Group Holdings Limited & others v. European Union, ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/23/1)
- Klesch Group (2023-) - counsel to Klesch Group in an ICSID investment treaty arbitration against Denmark under the Energy Charter Treaty concerning governmental interference in the energy sector (Klesch Group Holdings Limited, Klesch Refining Denmark A/S and Kalundborg Refinery A/S v. Kingdom of Denmark, ICSID Case No. ARB/23/48)
- Klesch Group (2023-) - counsel to Klesch Group in an ICSID investment treaty arbitration against Germany under the Energy Charter Treaty concerning governmental interference in the energy sector (Klesch Group Holdings Limited and Raffinerie Heide GmbH v. Federal Republic of Germany, ICSID Case No. ARB/23/49)
- Greenland Minerals (2022-) - counsel to the Australian mining company Greenland Minerals in an international arbitration concerning governmental interference with the mining project Kvanefjeld in Greenland, the world's second-largest mining project for rare earth minerals with a conservatively assessed value of USD 3 billion
- Thomas Borgen (former CEO in Danske Bank A/S) (2019-) - counsel to Thomas Borgen in connection with criminal investigations and multiple securities litigation proceedings in Denmark and abroad in relation to anti-money laundering issues in Danske Bank's former Estonian Branch
- Morgan Stanley and Carnegie (2016-) - counsel to the investment banks Morgan Stanley (U.K.) and Carnegie (Denmark/Sweden) in relation to litigation proceedings concerning investor claims for damages for share prices losses arising out of the bankruptcy of the marine fuel oil company OW Bunker A/S
- Skaugen Group (2014-2020) - counsel to I.M. Skaugen SE (Norway) and affiliated companies in multiple arbitrations (ICC and Danish Institute of Arbitration) and litigation proceedings concerning, i.a., claims for damages relating to the purchase of marine diesel engines for Skaugen's liquefied gas carriers
- Siemens Wind Power (2014-2018) - counsel to Siemens Wind Power A/S (Denmark) in connection with ad hoc arbitration proceedings in Denmark and litigation proceedings in France concerning a commercial dispute with a business partner
- M&A acquisition (2016-2017) - counsel to a global energy company in connection with UNCITRAL/LCIA arbitration proceedings against the seller of a target company concerning terms for closing of the transaction (value around DKK 100 million)
- Private Equity (2016-2017) - counsel to a global private equity firm in connection with arbitration proceedings before the Danish Institute of Arbitration concerning claims relating to an earn-out model (value exceeding DKK 250 million)
- M&A acquisition (2015-2016) - counsel to a global food & beverages corporation in connection with an arbitration before the Danish Institute of Arbitration against the sellers of a target company concerning warranty breach (value around DKK 300 million)
- Danfoss (2014-2015) - counsel to Danfoss A/S (Denmark) in relation to the Refrigeration Compressors case (EU competition law) and follow-on damages actions in multiple jurisdictions in Europe and overseas
Jimmy Skjold Hansen is recommended as a "Global Leader" as regards Arbitration. Further, he is listed as a "Future Leader" as regards Commercial Litigation (2023+2024)
Jimmy Skjold Hansen is recommended and listed as a "Next generation partner" as regards Dispute. Further, he is recommended for contentious work concerning Greenland - Foreign Firms.
"Jimmy Skjold Hansen is a very smart young lawyer" (2023)
Jimmy Skjold Hansen is listed as a "Future Leader" as regards Arbitration (2022)
Jimmy Skjold Hansen has been included in the Legal 500 Private Practice Powerlist - Arbitration (Nordics), which is showcasing the leading practitioners in the Nordics (2022)
Jimmy Skjold Hansen is recommended and listed as a "Next generation partner" as regards Dispute Resolution (2020+2021+2022)
"Jimmy Skjold Hansen is an up and coming young talent that is already very experienced as an arbitrator" (2021)
Jimmy Skjold Hansen is listed as a "Global Leader" as regards Commercial Litigation (2021)
Jimmy Skjold Hansen is recommended and listed as a "Next generation lawyer" as regards Dispute Resolution (2019)