The UK to leave the EU - Plesner advises on the consequences
The result of the EU referendum was announced on Friday, 24 June 2016 and the UK voted to leave the EU. We have set up a special Brexit task force with specialists across Plesner's various practice areas. The task force is available to our clients and we will provide regular updates on the development on our website, www.plesner.com.
No changes for nowLegally, there will be no changes for now. The UK is still a member of the EU and the current rules will still apply until the UK leaves the EU. It will take at least two years for the UK to leave the EU and it is expected that the formal announcement to the EU will only be made after the election in October of a new prime minister following David Cameron's exit, but several years may also pass before the formal announcement is made. But nevertheless it is important to prepare for the consequences of the UK leaving the EU.
The UK is now facing the task of negotiating numerous agreements with the EU, negotiating trade agreements with more than 50 countries and passing new legislation in the UK. The process will take years and the negotiations will be subject to openness and press coverage, which means that the contents of the agreements will not be a sudden surprise.
We have set up a Brexit task force that will follow the political developments and the negotiations between the UK and the EU closely. The development in the negotiations will have different consequences for the different industries and businesses and each business should make sure to be updated on developments.
As a market-leading law firm we are able to advise businesses in all industries about the Brexit consequences, including identifying risks and preparing contingency plans. Our task force is available to all clients requiring Brexit advice.
Plesner's Brexit task forcePlesner's Brexit task force is headed by Casper Münter and consists of the following specialists:
- Employment and Labour Law - Jacob Falsner
- Banking and Finance - Rasmus Mandøe Jensen
- Capital Markets - Janus Jepsen
- Commercial Contracts - Hasse Olesen
- Commercial Real Estate - Karina Brinch
- Dispute Resolution - Frants Dalgaard-Knudsen
- Energy Law and Infrastructure - Niklas Korsgaard Christensen
- Construction - Frants Dalgaard-Knudsen
- EU and Competition Law - Christopher Kjølby Jensen
- Insurance and Pension Law - Torben Bondrop
- IP Law - Kasper Frahm
- M&A - Tina Kang
- Marketing Law and Consumer Law - Jane Frederikke Land
- Data Protection Law - Michael Hopp
- Corporate Law - Lars Bunch
- Tax Law - Mathias Kjærsgaard Larsen
- Excise Duties - Thomas Gønge
- Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT) - Niels Chr. Ellegaard