Daniel Barry is head of our EU and Competition Law team.
Daniel focuses primarily on complex competition law litigations, including Danish and EU cartel cases and abuse cases and Danish and multi-jurisdictional follow-on damages cases. His experience includes participation in the European Commission's leniency programme and settlement procedure; coordination of criminal/administrative procedures in various foreign jurisdictions, including the US; and management and coordination of follow-on damages actions in various jurisdictions, including Denmark, Germany, the UK, the US, Canada and Israel. Daniel has been involved in the filing of a number of negative declaratory actions ("torpedoes"), which had not previously been used in Denmark in competition related damages actions.
Daniel regularly advises Danish and foreign clients on vertical agreements, including selective distribution systems, especially within the motor vehicle and retail sectors. He also advises on horizontal co-operation agreements, abuse of dominance and merger notifications.
Daniel is a member of the Competition Law Committee for the Association of Danish Law Firms
- Ørsted - representation in relation to the successful appeal of decisions from the Danish competition authorities regarding alleged abuse of dominance in the form of excessive pricing and related damages actions involving more than 1100 business. The case complex is the largest ever in Denmark
- Danfoss - representation in relation to the Refrigeration Compressors cartel case complex, including representation in relation to the European Commission's investigation, leniency programme and settlement procedure; coordination of criminal/administrative investigations in multiple foreign jurisdictions and representation in and coordination of follow-on damages actions in multiple jurisdictions
- Nissan Nordic Europe - representation in relation to complaint to the Danish Competition and Consumer Authority and stand-alone damages action regarding refusal of access to qualitative selective distribution system for after sale services
- Predatory pricing - representation of a company in the financial sector in relation to a stand-alone damages action regarding alleged predatory pricing
- CRT cartel - representation of an international home electronics manufacturer in a damages action related to the CRT cartel
- Skandinavisk Motor Co (Semler) - representation in relation to a follow-on damages action relating to abuse of dominance on the spare parts market
- The Association of Danish Law Firms - advising the Association of Danish Law Firms in relation to complaint about Karnov for abuse of dominance through, inter alia, excessive pricing
- Weber-Stephen Nordic - competition law advice regarding implementation of a qualitative selective distribution system in the Nordic Region
- Novo - coordination of merger filings in multiple jurisdictions regarding investment in ERT together with Nordic Capital
- Bluegarden - competition law advise to Marlin Equity Partners in relation to acquisition of Bluegarden and subsequent sale to Visma
- Verisure - competition law advise in relation to acquisition of Falck's alarm business in Denmark, Norway and Sweden and subsequent cooperation in Denmark and Norway
- Lessor - competition law advise to Lessor Group and its owners in relation to sale of Lessor Group to Axcel
- TOP-TOY - competition law advise to TOP-TOY and its owners in relation to sale of 75 % of the shares to EQT
- SPORTMASTER - merger notification of Nordic Capital's acquisition of SPORTMASTER
Daniel Barry is recommended and listed as a "Next generation lawyer" as regards EU and Competition. (2018+2019)
The group includes "sharp, responsive and friendly" Daniel Barry. (2018)
Daniel Barry is listed as a "Future Leader" within Competition. (2017+2018+2019)
Sources name Daniel Barry at Plesner Advokatpartnerselskab "a skilled litigator and expert", and rate him highly for his "strategic thinking and deep insight into competition economics" (2018)
Daniel Barry has been chosen as a "Rising Star" within Competition and Antitrust (2016+2017+2018)
Daniel Barry is recommended as regards EU and Competition. (2017)