We provide solution-oriented advice and assistance within all areas of environmental law and planning law in relation to land use, development and operation of businesses etc.
We also provide advice on a wide range of authorisation regimes and monitoring rules within issues relating to the environment, safety and health, and on matters relating to utility companies.
Our clients include listed companies, international groups, government institutions and state-owned companies, local authorities, local utility companies, oil companies, insurance companies and small and medium-sized enterprises.
We advise clients on a wide spectrum of issues relating to environmental law and planning law, including:
- Environmental law – waste and incineration, soil contamination, activities requiring authorisation, activities posing a risk, water supply, waste water and nature protection
- Planning law - all matters under the Danish Planning Act and the Danish Building Act, including in relation to specific land use, urban development and development projects, municipalities’ conclusion of expansion agreements
- Construction law - all matters under the Danish Building Act and the Building Code, including in relation to planning permissions and exemptions, ground levelling etc
- Environmental impact assessment and VVM
- Enforcement of matters relating to environmental, building and planning law - inspections, enforcement notices and injunctions
- Nature conservation - preservation, protected natural habitats, access rules, enforcement of preservation orders and nature conversation
- EU regulation- we have extensive knowledge of EU regulation in the environmental area and the products area, and we advise on issues relating to product safety, chemicals, procurement, packaging and other areas that are widely regulated on a European level
- M&A – environmental and planning law aspects can be vital to the completion of successful M&A. We have technical understanding of and legal expertise in the area and regularly cooperate with leading consulting engineering firms in Denmark
- Utilities law - regulation of utility companies, including the Danish Electricity Supply Act, the Danish Heat Supply Act and the Danish Act on Natural Gas Supply
Our advisory services
We familiarise ourselves with our clients' businesses and activities in order to provide advice that creates value for them. Our legal advice is based on a high degree of understanding of the commercial or political reality. Our team have experience from working at public authorities, publicly owned enterprises and enterprises having a wide range of various environmental law issues.
We have considerable experience conducting cases concerning matters relating to environmental and planning law before courts and complaints boards. When conducting such cases, we invest the resources that are necessary to thoroughly understand the technical elements of a matter.
Finally, we have extensive experience of entering into dialogue and negotiating with Danish authorities about matters of environmental and planning law, and we are familiar with the contemplations and considerations that apply when environmental or planning law is to be enforced in practice.
- Shell - assistance with carbon emission rights and carbon capture and storage issues
- DONG Energy A/S - regulatory issues regarding DONG’s North Sea licences
- Femern A/S - assistance with compulsory acquisitions and land purchases for the construction of the Fehmarnbelt fixed link
- Københavns Lufthavne A/S - assistance in handling a dispute with Taarnby Local Authority
- Novo Nordisk A/S - regulatory issues in relation to the Danish Heat Supply Act
- City of Copenhagen - environmental law issues in relation to the construction of the Cityringen train circle line
- NordStream - advice on regulatory matters regarding a Baltic Sea gas pipeline
- Hartmann Packaging A/S - regulatory issues in relation to the Danish Heat Supply Act
"Prompt responses, understanding of clients’ needs"
"Always a professional team to handle your problems. Easy to reach both by phone and e-mail – help can be given when needed" (2022)
"Strong overall practice that covers all our needs with skilled and professional lawyers" (2021)
Plesner advises on planning law, nature protection measures and regulatory requirements regarding CO2 emissions. The practice also advises on the supply of water, waste disposal and the handling of contaminated soil and wastewater. The practice also advises on the legislation concerning the establishment and transfer of windmill farms (2020)
Plesner provides "the highest level of practical and theoretical knowledge" with "no-nonsense advice and a pragmatic approach" (2019)
Plesner covers the full array of contentious and non-contentious work, including environmental due diligence and planning matters (2018)
Respected commercial practice which advises private companies on public law issues, particularly environmental issues and expropriation, as well as general administrative and constitutional law.
"Our first choice due to its pragmatic approach to issues, high quality counsel and delivery and responsiveness" (2017)
Within Environment, Plesner is a first tier firm.
"A first choice", Plesner advises on all aspects of environmental law (2017)
Within Environment, Plesner is a first tier firm.
Plesner's team has extensive experience in handling contentious public law matters before the Danish courts, as well as supporting the M&A practice on environmental due diligence (2016)
Represents a mix of local government departments in a broad range of public law cases. Offers considerable expertise within environmental, planning and energy law, and has experience of handling expropriation cases. Often engaged in large infrastructure projects for private parties, as well as advising on general administrative and constitutional law (2015)
Within Environment, Plesner is a first tier firm. Plesner’s wide-ranging expertise includes planning law, waste disposal, soil contamination and water regulation (2015)